His Fourfold Commission
Teaching, Casting Out Demons,
Healing, and Preaching
- And He came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. And He taught them on the Sabbath.
- And they were astounded at His teaching, because His word was with authority.
- And in the synagogue there was a man who had a spirit of an unclean demon, and he cried out with a loud voice,
- Ah! What do we have to do with You, Jesus, Nazarene? Have You come to destroy us? I know who You are the Holy One of God.
- And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Be quiet and come out from him. And throwing him down in the midst, the demon came out from him without harming him at all.
- And amazement came upon all, and they spoke to one another, saying, What is this word? For with authority and power He orders the unclean spirits, and they come out.
- And reports went out concerning Him into every place of the surrounding region.
- And He rose up and went from the synagogue and entered into the house of Simon. And Simons mother-in-law was suffering with a high fever, and they asked Him concerning her.
- And standing over her, He rebuked the fever, and it left her. And she instantly rose up and served them.
- And when the sun was setting, all those who had any that were sick with various diseases brought them to Him; and He laid His hands on each one of them and healed them.
- And demons also came out from many, crying out and saying, You are the Son of God! And He rebuked them and would not allow them to speak, because they knew that He was the Christ.
- And when day came, He departed and went into a deserted place. And the crowds sought Him, and they came up to Him and tried to hold on to Him so that He would not go away from them.
- But He said to them, I must announce the gospel of the kingdom of God to the other cities also, because for this I was sent.
- And He preached in the synagogues of Judea.
3. Attracting the Occupied
- And as the crowd pressed upon Him to hear the word of God, He was standing by the lake of Gennesaret.
- And He saw two boats lying by the lake, and the fishermen had gotten out of them and were washing the nets.
- And He got into one of the boats, which was Simons, and asked him to put out a little from the land. And He sat down and from the boat taught the crowds.
- And when He ceased speaking, He said to Simon, Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.
- And Simon answered and said, Master, through the whole night we toiled and caught nothing; but based on Your word I will let down the nets.
- And when they did this, they enclosed a great number of fish, and their nets began to tear apart.
- And they signaled to their companions in the other boat to come and assist them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink.
- And when Simon Peter saw this, he fell down at Jesus knees, saying, Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, Lord.
- For amazement had taken possession of him and all who were with him, because of the catch of the fish which they took;
- And likewise also James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, Do not be afraid. From now on you will be catching men alive.
- And when they had brought the boats to the land, they left all and followed Him.
6 total views, 1 views today