16. The Spreading to the Gentiles
a. Cornelius’s Vision
- Now there was in Caesarea a certain man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian cohort,
- Devout and one who feared God with all his household, giving many alms to the people and beseeching God continually.
- He saw clearly in a vision around the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him and saying to him, Cornelius.
- And he looked intently at him and became terrified and said, What is it, Lord? And he said to him, Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God.
- And now send men to Joppa and send for a certain Simon, who is surnamed Peter;
- This man is lodging with a certain Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the sea.
- And when the angel who was speaking to him went away, he called two of his household servants and a devout soldier of those who waited on him;
- And relating all things to them, he sent them to Joppa.
- And on the next day as they were journeying and drawing near to the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray around the sixth hour.
- And he became very hungry and wanted to eat. And while they were preparing, a trance came upon him;
- And he beheld heaven opened, and a certain vessel like a great sheet descending, being let down by four corners onto the earth,
- In which were all the four-footed animals and reptiles of the earth and birds of heaven.
- And a voice came to him: Rise up, Peter; slay and eat!
- But Peter said, By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything common and unclean.
- And a voice came to him again a second time: The things that God has cleansed, do not make common.
- And this occurred three times; and immediately the vessel was taken up into heaven.
- Now as Peter was utterly perplexed in himself as to what the vision which he had seen might be, behold, the men who were sent by Cornelius, having made diligent inquiry for Simons house, stood at the gate.
- And they called out and inquired whether Simon, who is surnamed Peter, was lodging there.
- And while Peter was pondering over the vision, the Spirit said to him, Behold, there are three men seeking you.
- But rise up, go down and go with them, doubting nothing, because I have sent them.
27 total views, 2 views today