D. Christ’s New Covenant
Superior to the Old
1. A Better Covenant of Better Promises
with a More Excellent Ministry
- Now in the things which are being said the chief point is this: We have such a High Priest, who sat down on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens,
- A Minister of the holy places, even of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man.
- For every high priest is established for the offering of both gifts and sacrifices; hence it is necessary that this One also have something which He may offer.
- Now then if He were on earth, He would not be a Priest at all, there being those who offer the gifts according to the law,
- Who serve the example and shadow of the heavenly things, even as Moses was divinely instructed when he was about to complete the tabernacle; for, See, He said, that you make all things according to the pattern that was shown to you in the mountain.
- But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry inasmuch as He is also the Mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted upon better promises.
- For if that first covenant had been faultless, no place would have been sought for a second.
- For finding fault with them He says, Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, and I will consummate a new covenant upon the house of Israel and upon the house of Judah,
- Not according to the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the Lord.
- For this is the covenant which I will covenant with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will impart My laws into their mind, and on their hearts I will inscribe them; and I will be God to them, and they will be a people to Me.
- And they shall by no means each teach his fellow citizen and each his brother, saying, Know the Lord; for all will know Me from the little one to the great one among them.
- For I will be propitious to their unrighteousnesses, and their sins I shall by no means remember anymore.
- In saying, A new covenant, He has made the first old. But that which is becoming old and growing decrepit is near to disappearing.
94 total views, 1 views today