Resurrection of the Slave-Savior
for the Accomplishing
of God’s Redemption
A. His Death
- And immediately, while He was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, appeared, and with him a crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests and the scribes and the elders.
- Now the one who was betraying Him had given them a signal, saying, Whomever I kiss, He is the one. Seize Him and lead Him away securely.
- And when he came, he immediately approached Him and said, Rabbi! and kissed Him affectionately.
- And they laid hands on Him and seized Him.
- But a certain one of those standing by drew his sword and struck the slave of the high priest, and took off his ear.
- And Jesus answered and said to them, Have you come out as against a robber with swords and clubs to arrest Me?
- Day after day I was with you in the temple teaching and you did not seize Me. But may the Scriptures be fulfilled.
- And they all left Him and fled.
- And a certain young man was accompanying Him, clothed with a linen cloth over his naked body; and they seized him.
- But he left the linen cloth behind and fled naked.
A. By the Jewish Leaders,
Representing the Jews
- And they led Jesus away to the high priest, and all the chief priests and the elders and the scribes came together.
- And Peter followed Him at a distance until he was within the courtyard of the high priest. And he was there sitting with the attendants and warming himself in the light of the fire.
- Now the chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were seeking testimony against Jesus in order to put Him to death, and they could not find it.
- For many gave false testimony against Him, yet the testimonies were not consistent.
- And some stood up and testified falsely against Him, saying,
- We heard Him say, I will destroy this temple made with hands, and in three days I will build another made without hands.
- And neither in this regard was their testimony consistent.
- And the high priest stood up in the midst and questioned Jesus, saying, Do You not answer anything? What is this that these testify against You?
- But He was silent and did not answer anything. Again the high priest questioned Him and said to Him, Are You the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
- And Jesus said, I am. And you shall see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power and coming with the clouds of heaven.
- And the high priest, tearing his garments, said, What further need do we have of witnesses?
- You heard the blasphemy! How does it appear to you? And they all condemned Him of being worthy of death.
- And some began to spit at Him and to blindfold His face and to beat Him with their fists and to say to Him, Prophesy! And the attendants, slapping Him about, took Him.
- And while Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant girls of the high priest came,
- And seeing Peter warming himself, she looked at him and said, You also were with the Nazarene, Jesus.
- But he denied it, saying, I neither know nor understand what you are talking about. And he went outside into the forecourt, and a rooster crowed.
- And the servant girl, seeing him, began again to say to those standing by, This man is one of them!
- But again he denied it. And after a little while, those standing by again said to Peter, Surely you are one of them, for you are a Galilean as well.
- But he began to curse and to swear, I do not know this man of whom you speak!
- And immediately a rooster crowed a second time. And Peter remembered the word, how Jesus had said to him, Before a rooster crows twice, you will deny Me three times. And thinking upon it, he wept.
90 total views, 1 views today