B. The Economy in God’s Selection
1. A Remnant Reserved by Grace
- I say then, Has God cast away His people? Absolutely not! For I also am an Israelite, out of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
- God has not cast away His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says in the passage concerning Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel?
- Lord, they have killed Your prophets, they have torn down Your altars; and I am left alone, and they are seeking my life.
- But what does the divine answer say to him? I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.
- In the same way then at the present time also there has come into being a remnant according to the selection of grace.
- But if by grace, it is no longer out of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace.
- What then? That which Israel is seeking after, this it has not obtained, but the chosen have obtained it, and the rest have been hardened;
- As it is written, God gave them a spirit of deep sleep, eyes to see not and ears to hear not, until this very day.
- And David says, Let their table become a snare and a trap and a stumbling block and a retribution to them;
- Let their eyes be darkened so that they cannot see; and bend their back continually.
through Israel’s Stumbling
- I say then, Have they stumbled so as to fall? Absolutely not! But by their misstep salvation has come to the Gentiles, to provoke them to jealousy.
- But if their misstep has become riches for the world, and their loss, riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their fullness be!
- But I am speaking to you, the Gentiles. Inasmuch therefore as I am an apostle of the Gentiles, I glorify my ministry,
- If perhaps I may provoke those of my flesh to jealousy and save some of them.
- For if their being cast aside is the reconciliation of the world, what will their being received back be, if not life from the dead?
- Now if the dough offered as the firstfruits is holy, the lump is also; and if the root is holy, the branches are also.
- But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them and became a fellow partaker of the root of fatness of the olive tree,
- Do not boast against the branches; but if you boast, remember that it is not you who bear the root, but the root you.
- You will say then, Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.
- Rightly said: they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be high-minded, but fear;
- For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will He spare you.
- Behold then the kindness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but on you, the kindness of God, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.
30 total views, 1 views today