the Sufferings of His Death
and Charging the Disciples to Pray
- And He came out and went according to His custom to the Mount of Olives; and the disciples also followed Him.
- And when He came to the place, He said to them, Pray that you do not enter into temptation.
- And He withdrew from them about a stones throw, and He knelt down and prayed,
- Saying, Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet, not My will, but Yours be done.
- And an angel from heaven appeared to Him, strengthening Him.
- And being in agony He prayed more earnestly, and His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down upon the ground.
- And when He rose up from prayer and came to the disciples, He found them sleeping from sorrow,
- And He said to them, Why are you sleeping? Rise up and pray that you may not enter into temptation.
- While He was still speaking, behold, a crowd came, and he who is called Judas, one of the twelve, was going before them and drew near to Jesus to kiss Him.
- But Jesus said to him, Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?
- And those around Him, seeing what would happen, said, Lord, shall we strike with the sword?
- And a certain one of them struck the slave of the high priest and took off his right ear.
- But Jesus answered and said, Let them go this far. And touching his ear, He healed him.
- And Jesus said to the chief priests and officers of the temple and elders who had come up against Him, Have you come out as against a robber with swords and clubs?
- While I was with you day by day in the temple, you did not stretch out your hands against Me. But this is your hour and the authority of darkness.
- And having arrested Him, they led Him away, and brought Him into the house of the high priest.
But Peter followed? at a distance.
- And when they had lit a fire in the middle of the courtyard and sat down together, Peter sat among them.
- And a certain servant girl, seeing him seated in the light of the fire, looked intently at him and said, This man was with Him too.
- But he denied it, saying, I do not know Him, woman.
- And after a short time, another person, seeing him, said, You also are one of them. But Peter said, Man, I am not!
- And after about one hour had passed, another one insisted, saying, Surely this man was also with Him, for he is also a Galilean.
- But Peter said, Man, I do not know what you are saying. And instantly, while he was still speaking, a rooster crowed.
- And the Lord turned and looked at Peter, and Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how He had said to him, Before a rooster crows today, you will deny Me three times.
- And he went outside and wept bitterly.
- And the men who were holding Him mocked Him and beat Him.
- And they blindfolded Him and questioned Him, saying, Prophesy! Who is the one who hit You?
- And they said many other things against Him, blaspheming.
1. By the Jewish Sanhedrin
- And when it became day, the assembly of the elders of the people, both chief priests and scribes, were gathered together, and they led Him away to their Sanhedrin, saying,
- If You are the Christ, tell us. But He said to them, If I tell you, you shall by no means believe;
- And if I ask you, you shall by no means answer.
- But from now on the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the power of God.
- And they all said, Are You then the Son of God? And He said to them, You say rightly that I am.
- And they said, What further need do we have of testimony? For we have heard it ourselves from His mouth.
53 total views, 1 views today